Joint submission in response to MCFD’s Child, Family, and Community Service legislative reform
Alongside Keeping Families Together, Parents Advocating Collectively for Kin, RainCity Housing and Support Society, Atira Women’s Resource Society, Feminists Deliver, and several individual signatories, West Coast LEAF made a joint submission to the Ministry of Child and Family Development’s (MCFD) on their reform of the Child, Family, and Community Service Act.
In our submission, we urge MCFD to take this opportunity to make meaningful, foundational changes to the family policing system. That includes centering five key objectives:
- Engaging in transformative, decolonizing change, and upholding Indigenous sovereignty
- Upholding family/parental rights
- Shifting from apprehension to prevention
- Maintaining family and cultural ties and relationships
- Accountability and transparency for parents, families, Nations, and communities
Read the full joint submission (PDF, 463 KB).